Saltair and Pudsey
Home Notices Site Map Churches Together

Churches Together

of Fulwood and Broughton

Pilgrimage - September 9th 2007

2 coachloads went from our 8 churches to Saltaire and Pudsey


Interior of the United Reformed Church in Saltaire
near Leeds, Yorkshire, which was built - at his own expense - and opened by Sir Titus Salt on 13th April 1859. Congregationalism was part of his thinking and his way of life.

 


Sir Titus Salt was born at Morley near Leeds in 1803. Soon his family moved to bradford where his father started a wool-stapling business. It was the purchase of alpaca wool in 1836 that brought Titus himself fame and fortune.

Bradford had the reputation of the dirtiest and smokiest town in Britain.

Sir Titus had little luck with persuading mill-owners there to change to burners that were less polluting so in 1850 he obtained land and was able to put into effect his plans for his scattered mills in one place with clean air and water and good living conditions for his workers. He named his new town after his family and the local river, Salt-aire. It incorporated many of his ideas with a church, school, hospital, library, a park, almshouses, public baths and wash-houses, gas lighting and a range of different shops superior to those in Bradford.

Work on the town continued for many years beginning with the mill which had 1200 looms and broke the record for the production of fine worsted cloth. To improve the look of the mill even the chimney was constructed to look like a campanile. Though he did not approve of Trade Unions, Sir Titus was the first employer in the area to introduce the 10 hour day (once 16 hours!) When he died in 1876 120,000 people attended his funeral.


The River Aire

Morris dancers visiting the town and quiet places right at the centre,

including, below,
the almshouses round a very pleasant green.



There were also ongoing exhibitions of paintings and ceramics in some of the old 'cottages' . Salt Mill has a fascinating exhibition of work by David Hockney.

 

In September the Mill also became the new home of the Early Music Shop, originally in Bradford.

 

On by coach to the
Moravian Village
at

PUDSEY

Unassuming entrance to the settlement
and row of cottages.

The Moravian village,
main street, church and graveyard


The Moravian outfit on the right shows their love of fine lace. The cap and shawl here are as worn today by a chapel servant, in this case an unmarried sister, shown by pink cap ribbons. The dress is earlier and too ornate for a chapel servant. traditonal dress is worn for much of the time, not just in church.

The church extends sideways rather than longways, the main focus being on the pulpit.
We filled all the benches but a gap between them enables the 'sisters' to come round more easily to to minister the 'cup of welcome' to everyone.
'Tea' was served very efficiently, and turned out to be a three-course meal, much enjoyed and commented upon by everyone.