in the Diocese of Lancaster
St Anthony's church was founded in 1943 by Canon Michael Geoghegan.
It began with a temporary church with a wooden building for parish activities.
Extensions were then made to the church, the hall and the school with
the additional help of some voluntary labour, and in 1954 three new
classrooms were built as the local population increased in size.
The church seen here was designed by Gilbert Scott and opened in November
1959. The primary school can just be seen behind, and at the end of
St Anthony's Drive, just past the church is the secondary school which
was opened first as St Cuthbert Mayne High School but was merged with
St Edmund Campion High School of Lea, and became Our
Lady's High School. This school now serves the north-west of
Preston, westwards to Lea and Clifton and north to Garstang.